Thursday, February 7, 2008

Concept 1

Over the course of the last few days I have been developing an initial concept for the performance I below mention involving sculpting space in order to control AV. The idea is still in its early stages and I haven't much idea of how I would realise the concept- I will jot a few ideas down here but maybe I should intend to experiment with the technology in order to fall upon a way of realising the the idea. So to experiment with technological process in order to fall upon a way of representing the idea?

I was reading a book (recommended in the reading list) called 'The Edge of Art' The text used case studies mainly in the field of internet art to demonstrate the analogy presented in the introduction that technology is a virus and art provides the antibody. Upon reading this text I began to think about this analogy and the seemingly cultural facination with the 'dangers' of technology that much science fiction explores. The moral dilemmas surrounding genetic research come to mind when thinking of technology as a virus. I often wonder whether we take ourselves too seriously and we are actually scared of losing our 'humanness' or perhaps in reality the meddling in genetics could only lead to grotesque results. What really interested me is the concept of technology turning on the human race as in the Matrix films and the Terminator series. I believe that the paranoia that seems to surround new technology and implementing it into our social conventions is borne from the science fiction we encounter. I cannot say that I understand how most technology works and that maybe it is alarming how something that alot of us don't understand can have suc a bearing on our lives. There is a fear that it evolves so quickly most of us have lost control and we are left vulnerable, computer hacking could provide an example of this.

The piece could be a parody of the science fiction mentioned, it could also comment on social issues of implementing technology into our lives in the way of CCTV, GPS, internet social interactions and generally the complex systems we now live by, for example the production line and the network of economics.

No comments: