Friday, June 20, 2008

Sci-Fi theme?

After a second tutorial with Greg it was clearer what the project was lacking. After being confused at why the idea wasn't flowing anywhere or not having the slightest idea how to realise any of my ideas it occurred to us that.. I was unsatisfied that anything would produce an interesting result and this was because of a focus on the techniques/methods of film, rather than any sort of issue behind the conventions I rave on about nor anything that interests me- I always wanted to move away from the work I did at undergraduate level because it wasn't creative or interesting to me to write technical reports or research techniques. Hence I was stuck on how to realise the idea.

One of the initial questions Greg asked me about the project was 'Whats the context?' I was unsure what he meant by the question. We spoke about the ideas I had - which were that firstly I could just demonstrate these conventions, secondly I could 'short-circuit' them and lastly I could research into their cultural origins... I was unsatisfied with the latter two and the last needed more substance.

It then occurred to me what was meant by the context of the work. Explore an issue far more interesting to me than just testing out these conventions. The conversation grew once I'd realised this, we talked about the piece I did with Ben about the 'dangers' of technology. There were many issues that interest me that came up- cultural perceptions of different behaviours of characters in films, what effect they have on society and behaviour, taste and etiquette in social situations. The power over the cinema attending public and all that they encounter that film-makers could possibly hold- I'm talking about being brainwashed unconsciously by copying behaviours and tastes of characters we see at the movies. This issue is also explored by Titchner (I mentioned in my last project.) What the social consequences are... Greg mentioned Brave New World. We thought about 1984 and A Clockwork Orange. Greg also recommended watching Blade Runner. Greg asked me what sort of literature I read at School- the simple answer is not much. I read an awful lot and loved young adult sci-fi and fantasy. I particularly remember reading one book Firefly Dreams in the point fantasy series, out of all of the books I read that one stuck out the most... I am going to reread it and see what happens.


We spoke about auteurism and how blockbuster movies are complex works that cannot be controlled completely by the director etc. Greg relayed that often its the video-editor that would place the conventions into the picture. What effect does this have to the end result- is it a completely different product to what was first envisioned?? If so, how far has it strayed, is this detrimental?

From being an avid film watcher, I always notice that there seems to be a shared aesthetic to films made in certain ages and there always seems to be a plethora of films exploring the same subject in a certain age... For example Sci-Fi exploring the consequences of technology The Terminator in the early mid eighties. Film about aliens in the early nineties Men in Black, The X Files etc. Early noughties to present epic fantasy trilogies/series - LOTRs, The Golden Compass, Chronicles of Narnia. Recently films about terrorism and world politics 9/11, Charlie Wilsons War, Iron Man, Bourne Identity. (I'm not saying that all films made about aliens were always made in the early nineties but just that there seems to be a pattern of occurrence.) It appears that they echo the mood of the age.. Then do they heighten this mood - point out issues/mask others. If so, this could be used as a powerful tool to control the opinion of society at large. Scary! Perhaps Symbolism plays a manipulative part aswell... More on this....


No comments: